Westminster Bridge at Night

Westminster Bridge at Night
Taxi pickup on Westminster Bridge, London

Tuesday 22 October 2019

A Brief Moment in Time

I've often said that one of the things that fascinates me about photography is the way that it captures, in a fraction of a second, a moment that can never be repeated.

That moment, at that place at that time and of that subject are absolutely unique. Even a re-creation of the scene can never capture it in precisely the same way. Looking at old photographs really is a journey into the past.

This was brought sharply into focus for me just recently when our beautiful dog Layla, passed away at the unbearably young age of four years and nine months.

No more pain, my beautiful girl, no more pain.
I suppose that, because she was young, I had begun taking for granted the fact that she was there. At any moment, there she was with a wealth of expressions, poses and actions just waiting for me to photograph. And there she would be for the foreseeable future.

But suddenly, she was gone.

I'm still full of grief - it was only a short while ago that she died -  but I am so glad that I took hundreds of pictures of her in the short time we had together.

So often in life, memories, and the photographs that support them, are all that are left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat about photography!